Sunday, February 23, 2014

Don't Tell Me I'm Going to Hell!

If and when you find yourself in a situation where you are talking to a dedicated Christian, be prepared to be condemned to hell if you present an idea or a thought outside their scope of understanding.  When I say "dedicated", I mean a person who takes the bible literally.  You know who I'm talking about.  A Fundamentalist Christian.  A Duck Dynasty Christian.  An American Religious Right Christian.  A Pat Robertson Christian.  You know who I'm talking about.

I've been a Christian 30 years and I've been sent to hell many times.  Why?  Because when I state my position on issues that go against Christian absolutes, according to the Bible, I am immediately in the wrong and going to hell.

Don't tell me I'm going to hell because I choose to embrace another human being who is attracted to the same sex or is not heterosexual.

Don't tell me I'm going to hell because I challenge what the "Good Book" says.

Don't tell me I'm going to hell because you can't make a compelling argument for why you believe the things you believe.  If your defense is "The Bible says it, so I believe it, and that is the end", then I feel sorry for you.  You haven't done your homework about the origin and history of the religion you hold so dear.

When you tell another person they are going to hell, you embarrass me.  I'm embarrassed for you.  You sound more like a little child who didn't get their way and now you have to resort to preschool threats in order to feel better about yourself and your long held beliefs.

As one Christian to another, let me tell you a little secret.  Jesus taught that fresh water cannot come from a polluted stream.  He taught that a healthy tree cannot produce bad fruit.  This is precisely what you are when you tell someone they are going to hell.  What comes out of your mouth is rotten, polluted and it stinks.  So please, stop it!

People are looking for the Love of Jesus.  That's all.  It's time that we live up to the title we so proudly place on ourselves, Christian.  Christ Follower.  Christ Like.  You might be surprised that the people you send to hell are actually more Christ like than you realize.

by Janet from CToBM

9 comments:

  1. Amen. A former coworker of mine once told me she had a list of the people in our building who were going to heaven, and a list of those going to hell. The hubris of that still takes my breath away, ten years later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so true! The last sentence can even drop the last word, actually. "You might be surprised that the people you send to hell are actually more Christ like then [sic] you."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, huh? I am not the kind of Christian you are talking about, yet I *am* a dedicated Christian. Not believing the B.S. that some Christians believe does NOT make me any less dedicated than them.

    I don't understand why, when speaking out against those kind of Christians, you attack those who aren't like that by saying we are less dedicated to Christianity than they are. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the context of the rest of the article, it most assuredly does not sound like an attack. I don't believe the intent was to imply that we who shun condemnation of others are less dedicated or devoted to Christianity.

      Delete
  4. Any time we say someone is going to Hell, we are doing God's job. God doesn't want us doing His job; we humans will screw it up every single time. Matthew 7:1 (NRSV) tells us “Do not judge, so that you may not be judged."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was once called a "daughter of the Devil" because I didn't agree with some political stance being presented. I've found over the years - and I've been an evangelical Christian for over 30 years (though no longer) - that it's far easier to condemn another than to try to understand another's position. That refusal to understand, to listen, to hear out others who may not think exactly as we do. This is predominately based out of fear and/or the need to control (which is still fear-based). We keep our world's tidy and small, but well within the illusion of control. It's really quite a sad way to live but then you don't have to do too much thinking...

    ReplyDelete